Wednesday, May 30, 2007

latest auto racing

Car Wars: Wrestling for control with Capt. Kirk

As I drove up to a family get-together recently, my older brother asked -- in that tone men use to stick up for one another -- "Why don't you ever let your husband drive?"

How does this question make me crazy? Count me the ways!

First, I have never heard him -- or any other man, for that matter -- say to a guy: "Why don't you ever let your wife drive?" Second, I was in my car, not my husband's, and we were driving to my hometown -- which he knows not at all -- not his. Third, in all my single years, my beloved brother had never once remarked on the fact I drove myself to his home, so why would he raise the question just because I'm with a man?

So here's my little question: Does he think my bitsy VW is the Starship Enterprise, my husband's Captain Kirk, and that when he enters the bridge I'm supposed to salute and hand over the controls?

Or does said brother, who on other issues is downright feminist, believe Natural Law dictates: "When there is a man and a woman in a car, the man must drive."

You might think so if you watch the intricate dance that takes place when husbands and wives do drive-by drop-offs and pickups.

No comments: